Eliminating qt3support from kwalletmanager

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue May 6 12:44:21 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

Am Sonntag, 4. Mai 2008, um 21:14 Uhr, schrieb Michael Leupold:
> Am Sonntag, 4. Mai 2008 20:43:41 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> > > I was wondering if porting kwalletmanager from qt3support to "real" Qt4
> > > classes was still possible for 4.1 or if that's already a no-go due to
> > > the feature freeze. Quite some bugs are related to that and we might
> > > gain
> >
> > I would consider porting to Qt4/KDE4 not a feature. Especially if it can
> > also be counted as bug removing as you say. Also finishing the 3->4
> > porting is one just-not-explicitly-written plan for any release.
> > So, as long as we are not in _hard_ feature freeze there should nothing
> > stop you from starting plain ports.
> > Read as: Okay from the module coordinator, go ahead please. :)
>
> Well, I decided to to already :) However I'm only concentrating on the
> parts that will help eliminate bugs. The rest will follow but isn't top
> priority as I hope we can rewrite the gui to be a little more shiny (4.2).

Alright.

> I was wondering on how to continue. I've been submitting some of my patches
> to kde-core-devel but I'm not sure who will review them as noone might
> really feel responsible for those little unmaintained kdeutils gems (I
> guess the usual path would having the maintainer review the patch).

Yes, it's really a pity noone feels able to help you.

> When do you think would be the right time for applying for one of those svn
> accounts? I feel that having someone look over my shoulder would be best at
> the beginning as I'm just starting out with Qt/KDE development so I think
> submitting patches is ok if I have someone I can bug to look at them :)

Well, superficially your patches and their reasoning look good and elaborated
IMHO. So I would propose to you to just apply for an SVN account now [GSA].
Then keep posting patches to kde-core-devel and  if noone reacts you just go
and commit them yourself. If your patches are really evil at least then you
will get reactions from people caring for KWallet a little. ;) Until then you
are just doing things right :)

You best reference to this my proposal in your account application.

[GSA] http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account

Friedrich