guidance power manager

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Fri May 2 00:49:59 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 10:45:19PM +0100, Thomas Gillespie wrote:
> I like it. Nice and simple. That was what worried me about porting kpowersave,
> it is a pretty complicated app, and most users dont care about schemes etc...
> It's just hard to find the balance between usability and functionality. Im
> going to port it completely, and then ill take suggestions on how it should be
> improved (not that ill turn away suggestions now)

Copy the guidance one :)

> I am curious to see how you do the idle time, i assume you talk to xlib or
> something (i hate that library, just becuase i cant use it:) ), but maybe that
> should be part of the solid powermanager, ill ask the solid guys.

It uses the xf86misc.py module from guidance, and its C side ixf86misc.c

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/kde3/utils/guidance/modules/ixf86misc.c?revision=670725&view=markup

xf86misc.py's getidletime() calls the getScreenSaverInfo() method
which calls
ixf86misc.XScreenSaverQueryInfo() which seems to use funcations from
X11/extensions/scrnsaver.h

Simon Edwards would be the dude to ask about that.

Jonathan