KCharSelect & co.

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Apr 26 23:41:26 CEST 2008

Hi Constantin and Daniel,

[I started this email at afternoon, but did not want to rush it out and only
came back now. Now I know I can remove the CC: to Daniel but will still sent
the content almost unchanged as I have no time to adapt it, please see in
this, and just reply to Daniel's email with more detail.]

Am Samstag, 26. April 2008, um 11:12 Uhr, schrieb Constantin Berzan:
> Hello everybody,
> I would like to maintain KCharSelect and port its associated applet.  I
> have limited experience working with KDE and I think this application is a
> good opportunity to learn more.

Fine :)
But then, well, you are right and not, as I was wrong.

> Questions:
> 1) Has anyone else asked to adopt this baby?

No, you are the first one.

> 2) Does the applet have to wait for 4.2?

As I now also learnt Laurent has already started a plasmoid two month ago:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/plasma/applets/charselect/
and it looks pretty complete.

> 3) Is there anything else I should know?

Yes, but I didn't know that thing, too, which is pretty uncomfortable for me
with regard of the inclusion of KCharSelect in the call for maintainers:

There is a widget class KCharSelect in kdelibs which does all the hard work,
see
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/classKCharSelect.html
And the program as found in kdeutils is just a standalone wrapper around the
widget, like the applet was.
Nothing you see if just looking at the KAboutData, grrr.

The widget class got some big improvements by Daniel Laidig almost a year ago,
the log files tell. Sorry Daniel, I hope you haven't already been illminded
by seeing the call without being asked before. But then I see commits from
you to the program as well, you should have added yourself to the About data
to help me :)

So Daniel would of course be the first person to become the maintainer if he
wants to because he was the last one caring a lot for it, I think this
reasoning is understandable, or?

Now it would be no real fun to be just the maintainer of one of the wrappers,
I guess. New features for sure need also support be the widget in kdelibs,
and this is easier if one is the maintainer also of that. Or would you like
to start just with caring for the wrapper program KCharSelect, Constantin?
Two cooperating maintainers, if they get along, can be even better.

So, what would you like?

Cheers
Friedrich