Summary of NWI -- taskbar grouping

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu May 21 22:37:52 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Thursday 21 May 2009 18:47:34 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> Matthew, what does it mean:
>> It means you can't read my mind, and a better name would be
>> appreciated :-).
>
> Ok, I understand it now. Small changes:
> * what is class -- I added it is defined by its _initial_ content

Maybe not best, but if there is a way for containers without user
intervention to group that /isn't/ haphazard, I haven't thought of it
yet :-). I agree with assigning from initial contents, though.

> I would like say we should remove container type from class. Because
> the purpose of the class if for collapsing. So I have to TAI
> Konquerors, I just change one TAI to GAI and I will have two entries
> in taskbar. This will be odd.

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, if I am using GAI there is a good
chance I am doing something different than TAI, even if the applications
instances are the same kinds. On the other hand, if we go by initial
contents and they both start as TAI, then changing won't affect the
grouping :-).

Feel free to change it if you like.

> And here:
> "A pop-up list would be e.g. the menu that appears when selecting a
> task bar entry for a container or group."
>
> What group?

Group as in the task bar grouped some items. (This terminology sucks.
Maybe we should agree to ban "group" when talking about task items, and
use "merge" or "collapse" instead. Or rename GAI to "grid"? Darn it, why
do "tiled" and "tabbed" have to start with the same letter? Stupid
English language... ;-) )

>  Group in the popup list -- but group cannot include
> another group, can it?

No; not without being group in container in group, anyway.

--
Matthew
This is not a sig. I am too lazy to steal one, perhaps you could loan me