closing documents, take 2

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Thu May 21 20:27:11 CEST 2009

> > b) there is container (except for desktop!) with only one app
> > inside -- user tries to close the app window --> what to do then?
>
> Huh? If you ask to close the window, the window had better have a
> good reason for not closing.

Yes, it has -- launching app is expensive. Example -- Konqueror.
Remember in NWI the tab is Konqueror. So it requires from user to
close entire container, not just one tab.

I like this behaviour a lot (btw. please note in TAI world user would
think in terms of tabs, just like today, so it is more "please don't
close the last tab").

> Asking to save the document is such a
> reason.

No, it is just postponed, this is not the case.

> > ad.a) we agreed that it could (option) cause app window close as
> > well, if there are local siblings of that application kind
>
> If it is not last, doesn't have an "empty state", and this option
> is not set... is 'close document' a no-op? Should it still close
> the window in this case? Should it /always/ close the window if
> there is no "empty state"? Should it be possible to control any of
> this with options?
>
> You start with sixteen possible combinations of behavior, some of
> which make no sense, but there are still something like twelve
> choices. I am trying to figure out what subset of that we want to
> be available. From there I'll figure out what the options need to
> be.

I don't follow. I don't see those numbers at all -- 16, 12, where did
they come from?

> Would it help if I wrote all behavior combinations so we can
> eliminate those we don't want?

Ok, however I don't understand :-)

> > I still use kpdf because of the superior pdf rendering quality
> > :-)
>
> Really? (Is that from KDE3?

Yes.

> Have you filed bug(s)? :-)

Did you see me not filling a bug report? :-DDD Sure. Till now not
fixed though.

Matthew, I am redirecting it to ML, we are not discussing anything
private, or classified, and I have difficulties in keeping threads of
priv. mail and ML on the same subject. I hope it is ok with you.

Cheers,