What is application?

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Tue May 19 21:53:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

application
 An application kind in general sense (e.g. Konqueror) running on a
unique machine. Two instances of the same application kind, but
running on different machines (e.g. one local instance, one instance
being run over X forwarding) are considered different applications.

 application instance
 A window of a particular application kind, usually used when
discussing sibling windows where some may be the same application. A
process may have more than one application instance.

By application I meant really Konqueror. Like "I wrote application"
(so it is like "product"). The first definition is rather a process,
not an application.

With all those changes the application instance is not clear for me at
all. I though of application instance = process.

I launched konqueror, it gets pid. It is an instance (process). If it
would like to open the window, well, it is its window. Except for
systray apps, I expect, that when I close such window, the process is
gone.

So the second description is rather for application's window.

Cheers,