closing documents, take 2

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 19 19:16:59 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Monday 18 May 2009 20:18:07 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>> I thought the options you have ticked as
>> default...
>>
>>> About month ago you wrote:
>>> "What about a policy that close doc will close the application
>>> also if there are sibling instances of that app? I think I would
>>> be okay implementing it that way."
>> ...are what this is talking about. I am confused :-).
>
> I am confused about what you are confused. I get this option from your
> mail, because I didn't want this feature be hardcoded :-) That's all.
>
>> Maybe an example will help. Let's say I have four kwrite windows in
>> TAI, two each belonging to one process
>
> Wait, do we allow that one application instance (process) would have
> several windows?

Ideally, no :-). In reality, this already happens. Maybe that's the
problem, I am assuming "application instance" = process.

Okay... if I replace "application instance" with... hmm, "application
window" isn't a great term, but that idea anyway... then it makes a
little more sense, except now options 1 and 3 seem to be identical.

What would be the difference between the two?

Would this make more sense? Does it cover what options you are wanting
to provide?

When closing a document...
   ( ) Never close the window (application changes to "empty" state)
   (X) Close the window if there are sibling windows of the same
application type*.
     [X] Disallow closing the document if there are no such siblings.

* ...with tooltip explaining that 'same application type' does not
include any running on other machines, and probably a description of
what "application type" means

> Maybe it is where confusion comes from. I would say no, because
> otherwise the whole environment would become more complicated, and
> from user POV it is hard to tell if the window A and B are from the
> same or different processes.

It is preferable to hide this from the user as much as possible, yes.
Ideally by making the behavior consistent regardless of if two windows
belong to the same process or not.

This is why careful terminology is important ;-).

--
Matthew
Here endeth the rant... which I realize is not likely to Win Friends or