Summary of NWI -- the page

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 18 20:19:13 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Saturday 16 May 2009 04:04:11 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> I have some comments here, need to re-check the thread. More
>>> later. (Hopefully not too /much/ later ;-).)
>> Oy. On re-reading the thread, I think the problem here is just that
>> "app" is really confusing (unfortunately) in this context :-(.
>>
>> I rewrote this in a way that I can understand it; I don't think I
>> changed any of your intent (with one exception), but...
>>
>> The one change I did make is to remove the "not-FAI" part. Any
>> reason FAI should behave differently? (Do we need this configurable
>> per-container? I think my preference is to not do that.)
>
> I cannot tell because I didn't find any reference to "default options
> for non-FAI containers" phrase or any similar. The only similar
> section is about SAI not FAI, and it is justified because SAI is not
> container per se, and those options does not make any sense for SAI.

Maybe that's why I am confused. There really isn't even such thing as
SAI, you're just talking about only one window. (I've been reading SAI
as being more-or-less FAI.)

Well, right now the only "SAI" reference is at the beginning. From my
end, the current wording is okay.

>> Okay... from a technical standpoint the WM and app have to
>> cooperate for 'close document' (it may be possible for the WM to
>> accept the key combo and decide if it should send the app a close
>> document or close window signal, which would be ideal; better
>> integration with non-KDE apps, less app code needs to change), but
>> then ctrl-w can't be used :-(.
>
> Why?

ctrl-<anything> can't be used as global shortcuts; they break terminal
emulators. You must either implement it at application level and let the
application work with the WM, or else add another modifier.

The reason you need the app to cooperate is because otherwise the best
the WM can do when you /don't/ want to close the window is push a
predefined key combination to the app's event queue and hope for the best.

>> Currently it's up to the app to implement this, but come to think
>> of it, it may be possible for the WM to do it, which might make it
>> more consistent (but I think wouldn't actually quit apps that don't
>> go away when all their windows are closed, e.g. systray apps).
>
> But you can close such app (and then it stays), quit means quit (like
> today).

What I mean is there is no way for the WM to get an app to quit; the
best the WM can manage is tell all the app's windows to close (which
doesn't necessarily play nicely with apps that do their own session
management - i.e. Firefox). For "quit" to work, it really needs to be
handled by the app, not the WM.

--
Matthew
"For UNIX thou art, and to UNIX thou shalt return"