Summary of NWI -- the page

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 16 04:04:11 CEST 2009

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/NWI
>> Default options for non-FAI containers:
>
> I have some comments here, need to re-check the thread. More later.
> (Hopefully not too /much/ later ;-).)

Oy. On re-reading the thread, I think the problem here is just that
"app" is really confusing (unfortunately) in this context :-(.

I rewrote this in a way that I can understand it; I don't think I
changed any of your intent (with one exception), but...

The one change I did make is to remove the "not-FAI" part. Any reason
FAI should behave differently? (Do we need this configurable
per-container? I think my preference is to not do that.)

Okay... from a technical standpoint the WM and app have to cooperate for
'close document' (it may be possible for the WM to accept the key combo
and decide if it should send the app a close document or close window
signal, which would be ideal; better integration with non-KDE apps, less
  app code needs to change), but then ctrl-w can't be used :-(. I think
I'd rather have something like win-w for WM and NWI-integrated apps can
still use ctrl-w (and non-well-integrated just ignore the NWI options
what to do on ctrl-w).

What about quit app? I rewrote it as almost 'killall <app name>'.
Currently it's up to the app to implement this, but come to think of it,
it may be possible for the WM to do it, which might make it more
consistent (but I think wouldn't actually quit apps that don't go away
when all their windows are closed, e.g. systray apps). I think it might
be better to declare this out of scope of the WM.

>> [ ] closing document closes "its" application if there are sibling
>> instances of that application within the container<br>

Okay... this makes no sense. Why would I want the application to quit
because I have more than one window open? I can't figure out any way to
interpret this that isn't confusing and/or unexpected/undesired.

>> * close topmost container (not counting desktop)

Isn't that "log off"? ;-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

--
Matthew
"Please remain calm... I may be mad, but I am a professional."