NWI: hollow apps

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Thu Mar 19 12:22:02 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 22:59:15 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 March 2009 21:29:53 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> Sure; my thought was more that it should work /like/ docking, in
> >> terms of drag-and-drop windows into the container. In which case
> >> I don't see why you need the empty space.
> >>
> >> - Start apps
> >> - Make tiled container
> >> - Move second app into container -> container automatically
> >> re-layouts
> >>
> >> Still three steps :-).
> >
> > No, actually four (each app is one step -- launching). The last
> > step is not very comfortable to do using keyboard.
>
> Ok, you convince me (I think) :-).

Ok :-) But please note that it was not "I want hollow apps" but it
was "I want fast grouping" (and the hollow apps are the fastest way I
can think of, at least now).

> But... I'd say that is even more
> reason to allow empty containers.

Hmm, I see the opposite but I paste this into the closing apps
thread :-).

> >> (Especially if the tabs and titlebar blend together,
> >
> > No true entirely. With tabbar we would like to add "create new
> > tab" button, just like today with Konq.
>
> So? It would be a button on the "title" bar in that instance. I
> don't see a problem ;-).

I see several -- keeping informative title, with no real titlebar it
is hard to do. Tabbar buttons are mixed with window buttons (close,
maximize). When you drop TAI into GAI for example, you would get
mini-titlebar which would be quite surprising, why when embedded it
has mini-titlebar and when standalone it has none.

> >> in which case
> >> I don't expect we'll really have a "don't show tabs" mode.)
> >
> > We would. Because Konq. can work in postpone UI mode -- "decide
> > later if this SDI or TDI". In other words, this option "show
> > tabs", translates to:
> > [ ] start as SDI, user can switch to TDI on fly
> > [x] from the start work as TDI
>
> I am confused. If you start konq in not-tabs container it doesn't
> have tabs. From there you can:
> - wrap in tabbed container; now it has tabs even if there is only
> one tab - create new tab; konq spawns a new process with wm hint to
> be a tabbed sibling of the current window, and now you have two
> tabs
>
> So "don't show tabs" mode is "don't put it in tabbed container
> right away". Do I miss something?

Nope. This is exactly what I said :-)

Ok, so now I am moving to closing apps (it will take a while).

Cheers,