NWI: hollow apps

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 18 22:59:15 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 21:29:53 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Sure; my thought was more that it should work /like/ docking, in
>> terms of drag-and-drop windows into the container. In which case I
>> don't see why you need the empty space.
>>
>> - Start apps
>> - Make tiled container
>> - Move second app into container -> container automatically
>> re-layouts
>>
>> Still three steps :-).
>
> No, actually four (each app is one step -- launching). The last step
> is not very comfortable to do using keyboard.

Ok, you convince me (I think) :-). But... I'd say that is even more
reason to allow empty containers. (It's more for what happens in empty
desktop, or when closing last child, than to create a container that is
initially empty).

So, more keys! :-)

wm-container-wrap-tabbed
wm-container-wrap-tiled
wm-container-wrap-floating
wm-container-split (win-t?)

...where the last (not the best name, would need a better description in
the actual UI) creates a new 'empty space for child', that will absorb
the next-created window. So, new tab, new pane in tiled, new window
(meaning a title bar and frame) in floating.

>> (Especially if the tabs and titlebar blend together,
>
> No true entirely. With tabbar we would like to add "create new tab"
> button, just like today with Konq.

So? It would be a button on the "title" bar in that instance. I don't
see a problem ;-).

>> in which case
>> I don't expect we'll really have a "don't show tabs" mode.)
>
> We would. Because Konq. can work in postpone UI mode -- "decide later
> if this SDI or TDI". In other words, this option "show tabs",
> translates to:
> [ ] start as SDI, user can switch to TDI on fly
> [x] from the start work as TDI

I am confused. If you start konq in not-tabs container it doesn't have
tabs. From there you can:
- wrap in tabbed container; now it has tabs even if there is only one tab
- create new tab; konq spawns a new process with wm hint to be a tabbed
sibling of the current window, and now you have two tabs

So "don't show tabs" mode is "don't put it in tabbed container right
away". Do I miss something?

>>> The most important for me is the idea, or mechanism, of sucking
>>> application on start to container waiting for it -- so it would
>>> be grouping on launch.
>> Mmm... okay, I think I was missing this part. It should still be
>> do-able, though. I think I would say, after creating a container,
>> new windows auto-join that container until focus leaves that
>> container? But that might confuse some people, I wonder if it
>> should be made an option...
>
> Leaving focus -- no. For example you could alt-switch to other
> application and accept "the drop". Or you could switch to KMenu and
> launch app.
>
> You couldn't switch dekstops, i.e. you could, but this would be drop
> cancel.

Yeah, I think you're right, this probably wouldn't work. Never mind :-).

--
Matthew
"I like to think of it as 'unplanned dissonance'" -- A fellow chorister