CLosing apps

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 16 19:59:15 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 19:06:54 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
>> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
>>> Let's start over:
>>>
>>> F44 -- close _this_ app (one instance)
>>> F45 -- close doc
>> Drop "F44"?
>
> ? You surprised me -- so when I run GAI (konsole+konq) I won't be able
> to close konq. using keyboard?

You can close the individual windows... or the container. Or (well,
jury's still out) ALL konq's :-).

I'll try the "poetry" again.

If I have:
  container
    konq
    konq
    okular
    konq

...I'm not convinced we need a shortcut to close just the konq's in the
above. (Unless it is "close all siblings" :-), which is probably a good
action to have, though I'd leave it unbound by default.)

(One possible source of confusion: I'm assuming process-per-window being
the ideal, so the only sense in which "close one app" means something to
me is "close one window" or "close ALL windows of this app type". Users
cannot keep track of what windows belong to what process... by which *I*
cannot keep track of what kwrite windows belong to what kwrite process;
real example.)

>> I'd imagine we'd keep
>> alt-f4 as some form of 'close container'; the question is, do you
>> close the topmost container, or the nearest parent container?
>
> Let's drop nowadays symbols because they will drag us into the
> nowadays meaning. We map keys later, ok?

Heh, ok, I'll try. We have so far wm-close-window, wm-close-parent and
wm-close-top-ancestor. (CW, CP and CTA.) I think we agree on CW and CTA.
I think CP is needed, not sure what if any should be default binding,
since I think we agree alt-f4 should become CTA.

I suggested adding wm-close-siblings-all. We disagree on
wm-close-siblings-similar (which, slight misnomer, also closes current).
We also have, and I think agree we would like to kill, app-close-all.
(Maybe we should say that implementing ctrl-q is optional, and only for
systray apps where it means "really quit", and for broken/foreign apps.)

> I opt for topmost -- direct parent is easily accessible with shortcuts
> (combo, activate parent, close this window).
>
> By topmost I mean, not counting desktop.

Right, agreed.

> thank you

You're welcome! Thanks for helping with this! (And I mean, this thread
but also NWI in general.)

(I think I also owe you a reply yet to the other thread, just not sure
when I'll get to it. I haven't actually read your latest reply there, yet.)

--
Matthew
"I don't question your existence -- God" (seen on a church billboard)