CLosing apps

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Mon Mar 16 19:36:32 CET 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 19:06:54 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > Let's start over:
> >
> > F44 -- close _this_ app (one instance)
> > F45 -- close doc
>
> Drop "F44"?

? You surprised me -- so when I run GAI (konsole+konq) I won't be able
to close konq. using keyboard?

> I'm not sure I'm convinced of the need for anything
> along the lines of "close all windows of the same type in a
> container".

I am lost in poetry here :-) Above I was talking about closing one
app, now you are opting against closing all apps of the same kind
(right?) -- but those are different issues. I mean from the latter I
cannot say anything about the former.

> (It also occurred to me that we already have containers of a sort
> in the form of virtual desktops... so some arguments about how to
> do things can be applied also to windows on different desktops.)

Yes, but they are different -- you cannot close desktop just like
that.

> > The other solution would be providing F43 which would mean --
> > close entire container. If there is no container (parent=desktop)
> > close the current app (behave like F44) (*). This would keep
> > consistent UI at cost of breaking compatibility.
>
> Mouse-wise, I'm operating on the assumption you will be able to
> close a window, or any ancestor container.

Of course, be here we talk about direct access, without doing any
switching. So what should be available for user directly.

> I'd imagine we'd keep
> alt-f4 as some form of 'close container'; the question is, do you
> close the topmost container, or the nearest parent container?

Let's drop nowadays symbols because they will drag us into the
nowadays meaning. We map keys later, ok?

I opt for topmost -- direct parent is easily accessible with shortcuts
(combo, activate parent, close this window).

By topmost I mean, not counting desktop.

> > (*) we can treat every window as container, just SDI would be GAI
> > container with no visual indicator and with only one app inside.
> > If we agree that closing last app should close container it would
> > be also more consistent.
>
> I won't mention technical standpoints :-), but as far as "how does
> X behave", I agree that things operating on containers should treat
> a top-level (i.e. direct child of root) window as a "container" for
> such purposes.

Ok.

Except for initial answer I think we agreed. So Matthew, could you
please clarify, and then I will write here a little summary with
examples, and after that I will try to start wiki pages with
step-after-step introduction (with ss) to NWI (nice name btw. thank
you).

Cheers,