WM: grouping applications (TAI)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 5 00:24:59 CET 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> TAI/GAI reactivation ;-)

Yay! :-D

> So I ask you this:
> a) let's say you already have organized TAI, something similar to
> Konq. TDI but each tab is distinct app, no other app is running -- is
> task switching is possible via the same alt+tab as usual? Or should
> switching within tab should be distinct from "normal" task switching?

Well... ideally I would say we should co-opt tab-switching shortcuts.
The problem is, there don't seem to be any /consistent/ such shortcuts
(except, annoyingly enough, ctrl-shift-arrows to rearrange tabs), so we
probably need to define those at some point. Although... TBH it makes
more sense to use alt-tab, just that users won't expect that.

In short, it's a good question that needs an answer. Perhaps best is to
us alt-arrows for tree navigation, and alt-tab to switch only top-level
windows/containers (and I suppose each container remembers its active
child, same as active widget is remembered). Left/right would be
configurable to either switch instantly between siblings i.e. like
current tab switching, or pop up an alt-tab-like tree switcher (or I
suppose, whatever people come up with for fancy switchers). Down/up
would go immediately to the switcher, with up starting at the active
window's parent.

> b) can GAI container can be put (I ignore for the moment _how_) into
> TAI?
>
> c) can TAI container can be put into GAI?

Yes and yes. I started a reply to elsewhere in the thread(s) but might
as well post my reiterated opinion on nesting here...

 From a technical standpoint, a group (which can be floating windows,
recall) should be generic. That is, anywhere you need a container
(including the root), it can be /any/ container. That means that nesting
is required, since the default configuration needs to be for the root
container to be floating-windows if we're to have any generic uptake,
and of course you need at least one level of nesting or this is a waste
of time ;-).

 From a technical standpoint, my answer is a very emphatic "yes". From a
usage standpoint, I'm more inclined to take a wait-and-see attitude; we
can, if it seems needed, impose a depth limit (of one, basically) on
nesting... although I'll mention again that I don't like artificial
limits :-).

> PS. All I can say for the time that passed, that I miss GAI for
> sure ;-)

Yeah. Heck, just a tiling WM would be nice... but of course I don't want
*only* a tiling WM (and the grouping part of GAI, i.e. groups are
raised/lowered as one, would be nice also).

--
Matthew
ENOWIT: .sig file not available