Fwd: Adding "group/split" button to the decoration

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Tue Jul 14 22:37:53 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14 July 2009 21:57:11 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> So we said already FAI has its own panel.

Yes.

> And GAI maximized
> window is like TAI.

remark: for TAI there is no collapsable entries in taskbar/tabbar
(current state of summary).

TAI now looks like just a state of GAI.

TAI (restore) -> GAI (free) -> FAI (tile) -> GAI (maximize) -> TAI

btw. this cycle could be nice for presentation in the summary. I hope
i will be soon able to edit it.

> So GAI in 'restore' mode may or may not need a
> panel, FAI in 'restore' mode has one (and can minimize children).

Yes.

> And if you maximize window in either, you get something that is
> basically "TAI" mode.

Yes.

> So you don't have TAI as such, you have
> choice of windows floating or in panes (GAI or FAI), and "TAI" when
> you maximize a window.

:-)) Strange, isn't it. But true.

> So in "TAI" mode you will have no child title bar, no minimize
> button, and one 'restore' button that puts you back to FAI/GAI
> mode.

Yup.

> ...which just leaves how, and if, you can minimize in GAI.

According to above you should be able both to minimize and maximize
(if there are at least 2 windows).

> Also if
> GAI has panel or not; I would prefer "not" unless there are
> minimized windows, would that be acceptable?

I think we could mimic the behaviour of current panel -- otherwise it
could be seen as regression.
We don't see it yet, and it might occur that having fixed taskbar for
all containers is actually useful, because the general feel is not
altered -- only windows are more or less restricted.

And some apps which use NWI for their internal design, could rather
set no-taskbar mode.

Cheers,