Faster grouping -- less clicks

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 10 22:36:37 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Thursday 09 July 2009 08:48:04 Diego Moya wrote:
>>> So is d&d enough for you? Because we definitely intend to have
>>> d&d :-). (With also 'click group, click window' for those that
>>> want/need it.)
>> I'm OK with d&d. What worries me is the "two clicks for each
>> grouping", that's one more click than needed for window IMO. It
>> doubles the "group 8 windows to a container" scenario from 8 clicks
>> to 16.
>
> In standard switcher we cannot reduce ctrl+LMB to just LMB. If user
> want to reduce, she/he trigger switcher like expose, when by
> definition overlapping does not occur.

Switcher? "Create container" mode is not a switcher... is it? (And...
remind me,  why /do/ we need ctrl-click? Why not just LMB to toggle?)

Hmm, I had planned on it only being expose, but maybe it /should/ be a
switcher (and in a way, expose /is/ a switcher). Would help I guess if
you want to pull windows from unusual places.

I guess what NWI needs to do is have a non-composite switcher that is a
true generic switcher, i.e. can be used for create container mode as
well as switching.

> But I am thinking about one feature more -- the checkbox
> [ ] do not close it after drop
> in the hollow pane. Just thinking aloud! :-)
>
> By default, unchecked, no change there. But if user would check it, it
> would mean, that with each drop, the pane does not disappear, and
> sequential adding is possible.

Sure. I assume there is a "go away" button in hollow, also? And I guess
it remembers last setting?

> 1. run application for container + N applications + one application
> that should not be added (all overlapping)
> 2. on "main" app deco click "group"
> 3. check "do not close..."
> 5. ctrl+LMB N times

Um... I sense a mix of metaphors here. Hollow app is /only/ to absorb
the next /newly created/ window*. Ctrl-LMB on window... sends ctrl-LMB
to window. Unless you are in 'create container' mode, but there is no
hollow app in create container mode.

(*Or to make D&D easier; IOW, what the wiki currently says. We could
also have it be used in conjunction with a deco button "add this to
container with hollow app", but I still don't see where ctrl-LMB comes
into play here. Hmm, I wonder if that would make Diego happy? I'd be
much more happy with that than somehow colored "current container".)

So either 'group' button uses create container mode and there is no
hollow app (and window whose 'group' button was clicked starts out
selected, but can be unselected), or 'group' button makes container with
one child plus hollow app (but then you are not in 'create container' mode).

> you could reduce the number of clicks to just N+2. And this number
> looks nice :-)

Create container mode as previously/currently defined already takes N
clicks plus two actions ("action" might be click or keystroke) to make
container from N windows. (Actually only plus one action if activated
from button on deco.)

--
Matthew
  ,= ,-_-. =.    Freedom to Use