Fwd: Adding "group/split" button to the decoration

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Sat Aug 29 21:13:12 CEST 2009

On Friday 28 August 2009 01:01:48 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> > remark: for TAI there is no collapsable entries in taskbar/tabbar
> > (current state of summary).
>
> ?

Why question mark? :-)

> > btw. this cycle could be nice for presentation in the summary. I
> > hope i will be soon able to edit it.
>
> Any luck with the editing?

Yes, and no -- since there is still bug with editing, I don't edit
anything and wait for fixing it. I don't want to loose some work.

If you any working wiki, trust-worthy, maybe we could copy the content
there and continue?

> >> ...which just leaves how, and if, you can minimize in GAI.
> >
> > According to above you should be able both to minimize and
> > maximize (if there are at least 2 windows).
>
> What does minimize do in GAI? (More to the point, how do you get a
> minimized window back? Hmm... same way as minimized window now, use
> task bar or switcher?)

I finally found it. We could shade window on minimize in GAI (and
shade rest, on maximize). And shaded window would be visible as
normal window. However shading algorithm would have to be smart.

Example: GAI divided vertically on two panes, the right pane divided
horizontaly

AB
AC

when you minimize A you would get

AB

but this makes an empty space. So A should be really put on top/bottom
of the right pane:

Minimizing single window within GAI would not be possible.

> >> Also if
> >> GAI has panel or not; I would prefer "not" unless there are
> >> minimized windows, would that be acceptable?
> >
> > I think we could mimic the behaviour of current panel --
> > otherwise it could be seen as regression.
>
> Which current behavior would that be?

Sorry, lost the track.

> > We don't see it yet, and it might occur that having fixed taskbar
> > for all containers is actually useful, because the general feel
> > is not altered -- only windows are more or less restricted.
>
> Not sure about that, my current inclination is still to avoid task
> bar if possible for GAI. And I suppose for TAI, since tabs would
> replace the need. (Though conversely, the panel makes tabs
> unneeded...)

I think shading windows would be nice solution. It is easy to restore
window, it is visible all the time. The only drawback -- the
algorithm will not be trivial (but not killer too).

Cheers,