FW: [GSoC] Tiling mode - a user's point of view

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 28 18:52:46 CEST 2009

Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> nsm.nikhil at gmail.com wrote:
>> Plates
>> ------
>>
>> A Tile can belong to one or more plates. For example the user
>> could have one Plate where he is using an editor to write an
>> article and a browser for his research. In another Plate he could
>> have his email client. Each of these plates can be on one or more
>> desktops ( ie. made sticky ).
>
> You started with belonging to many parents, but in the example you
> showed 1:1 mapping.
>
> Let's say I have two containers:
> a) okular(*) + kmail
> b) okular(*) + knode
>
> * same app.
>
> Does okular display the same content? Is this possible to make the
> changes to one to be visible in the other "copy" (in other words --
> it this multi-app synchronized, or not).

I would assume it would be the exact same window (I don't see,
technically, how it could be otherwise). What might be problematic
though is I don't think it necessarily has the same geometry, which
might lead to some slowness when switching.

> What is actual benefit of it comparing to launching two okulars?

That's a good question. And...

> IMHO it is an overkill.

...I'm not too thrilled with the idea either. I can see where it might
be useful, but the confusion potential seems high.

--
Matthew
What sort of trite mind