FW: [GSoC] Tiling mode - a user's point of view

Maciej Pilichowski bluedzins at wp.pl
Sat Apr 25 22:03:04 CEST 2009

> nsm.nikhil at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've written a preliminary and incomplete document describing how
> > my tiling mode will work from the user's point of view.
> > It can be found at
> >
> > http://22bits.exofire.net/gsoc/kwin_desc.txt

404, not found.

> > Key bindings

It is better first what actions are possible, disccuss the actions,
and later talk about bindings.

> > Entering tiling mode
> > --------------------
> > The user is currently in normal stacking mode. When he activates
> > tiling mode from system settings (SS),

? User has to launch SS in order to active tiling? Or to just make the
settings (the mode of tiling)?

> > Plates
> > ------
> >
> > A Tile can belong to one or more plates. For example the user
> > could have one Plate where he is using an editor to write an
> > article and a browser for his research. In another Plate he could
> > have his email client. Each of these plates can be on one or more
> > desktops ( ie. made sticky ).

You started with belonging to many parents, but in the example you
showed 1:1 mapping.

Let's say I have two containers:
a) okular(*) + kmail
b) okular(*) + knode

* same app.

Does okular display the same content? How user can tell for sure it is
the same instance? Is this possible to make the changes to one to be
visible in the other "copy" (in other words -- it this multi-app
synchronized, or not). What is actual benefit of it comparing to
launching two okulars?

IMHO it is an overkill.

> I am expecting Maciej to have fascinating comments here... :-)

Nah, you already wrote all comments I could come up with :-DDD

I can only say we discussed the very similar thing already. The
threads about this UI can be found at KUD ML. And soon I will write
summary of the discussion, only one thread more to go :-)

Cheers,