Prep for KDE HIG test

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Oct 13 19:12:58 CEST 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 18:52, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> i wanted to start migrating contents, and got a structural question:

Very nice! :)

> c) guidelines are below subtopics
> ==structuring menus==
> ===guidelines===
> ===See also===
>
> ==menu items==
> ===guidelines===
> ===see also===
>
> I prefer c

I concur.

> i wonder if a rationale section would make sense here? in our initial
> discussion at akademy 2004 we decided to have a rationale in expandable
> sections. would be good to ask in the user test if developers accept the
> guidelines "as is", or if they need an explanation for questionable items.

The expandable sections were not only for the rationale but also for the
guidelines themselves.
The idea behind that was that we can serve different readers with one html
file.  So a casual reader can ignore both the rationale and the guidelines
and there are other types of readers for the other parts.

I'd say that we should aim to provide all 3 sections (guidelines, see also,
rationale) whenever possible.
A rationale is not just about dispelling questionable items, it also gives the
reader a second way to look at the explained topic making him understand it
better. Last I'd say that giving a rationale will make the authors question
themselves more while writing and creating a better overall quality of the
document. :)

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander