HIG: tabwidgets

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Mar 12 03:24:47 CET 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 10:42, Gábor Lehel wrote:
> > IIRC we actually had this turned on by default in konqi when tabs
> > first appeared and it was such a horror-show of people accidentally
> > closing tabs that it was disabled eventually
>
> I see the point, though I must note that having the close button
> /instead/ of the webpage icon, on the left of the tab, doubtless also
> had something to do with this. (I haven't heard any such complaints
> from Opera users, thus far.)

People tend to not complain about them mistakingly mis-clicking. People
assume they must be stupid.  (sad but true).

Konq has an option to fade the icon on the tab to a close button, so the
best of both worlds is met.  Even with that, the horror show Aaron
already mentioned made us turn it off.

I guess KDE users trust the interface to be standard enough to not have to
think about already-known widgets and what side effects they may have.
The opera users get to see a non-quite-standard interface and my guess is
that people accept more weird behavior (or simply walk away and try one
of the many alternative browsers).
--
Thomas Zander