HIG: tabwidgets

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Mar 12 03:09:08 CET 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 00:55, Florian Graessle wrote:
> > a question here is what to put in Other Tabs. in konsole it's "Switch
> > To Tab", in konversation it's "Switch To" and in konqueror it's
> > "Other Tabs" which includes actions that apply to all other tabs.
>
> I am not too sure about the usefulness of the "other tabs" entry. I
> think there are better places to give an overview of which tabs are
> opened and to switch there (the obvious one being the tab bar itself).

I'm pretty sure that users will not make that connection themselves and
thus will be unable to find one or the other of the menus.
I remind you of the problems menu users have in kopete where clicking on a
main entry is different from clicking on the protocol icon on the right
of that same entry.
In other words; I disagree it would be better since discoverability of the
features would be hindered considerably.

Next to that; one guy argued that closing all tabs was really about the
current tab itself since that one is the one that will stay in the end.
This kind of reasoning sounds weird to me, but I know there are always
people that think differently from me.  For that reason having the both
the close and the 'close others' in the same popup (but in a submenu)
would make it much more likely that such a person would find the feature.

> Also currently in konqueror and konsole we have this entry only in the
> context menu of each tab - combined with a lot of mouse pushing and
> aiming. Plus there is no way to get an overview of the tabs with the
> keyboard which is a major drawback of the current solution.

Why does the 'menu' key not work when a tab has focus?

> What we
> could do is consider moving the tab overview into the "window" menu
> entry like e.g. the opera web browser is doing it. There it would be
> possible to even access tabs from other konqueror windows.

Personally; I'm not convinced that thats usefull its just more top-level
stuff and you end up mixing concepts (tabs vs documents etc) which
konqueror is already confusing enough about.
I'd like to avoid arguments if split windows should also mean 2 items in
the windows menu :$
IMOHO; best to leave that can of worms closed.
--
Thomas Zander