HIG: tabwidgets

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Thu Mar 9 16:10:49 CET 2006

On Thursday, 9. March 2006 15:14, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> sorry, i let the programmer in me take over for a moment there apparently
> ;)

;-) much clearer now, thanks

> for a reader/browser (konqueror, kpdf) this may make a lot more sense
> indeed. should we add something in here about multi-page readers and how
> they should avoid tabs but use a thumbnail navigator instead? and see if we
> can get the okular thumbnail navigator widget into kdelibs so it can be
> used by all such apps?

I support it, but we must restrict it to the representation of pages, not
documents. That also means that in konqueror, each tab represents a page, not
a document.
And it becomes tricky in file browsing mode in konqui, where there is a left
navi bar and the preview of folders does not bring a benefit.

> > this approach is not only useful for web/file browser, but also for kate
> > and other apps where logical grouping of open document makes sense.
>
> for kate this is doubtful since one source code file looks like another in
> thumbnails until they get REALLY large ;)

ok, agree - but reordering of the open documents via dnd would be useful
(group all konqueror source files and all libs files) - might also make sense
for quanta, etc.

> > > Standard Actions:
> > > The following actions should be available if it makes sense within the
> > > workflow of the application. For instance, while it makes sense to
> > > offer "Duplicate Tab" in a web browser, it doesn't in a chat
> > > application.
> > >
> > > Action		Shortcut		Required
> > > -------		---------------	-----------
> > > New Tab		Ctrl+Shift+N	Yes
> > > Detach Tab	Ctrl+Shift+D	No
> > > Duplicate Tab			No
> > > Reload Tab	F5		No
> > > Next Tab		Ctrl+Left_Arrow	Yes
> > > Previous Tab	Ctrl+Right_Arrow	Yes
> >
> > Move Tab right
> > Move Tab left
>
> hm... do you have suggestions for keyboard shortcuts?
maybe we should discuss that in the hci list -> the accessibility guys might
be of help here.

> > > Context Menus: this should be a description of the context menu
> > > including spots for customization. for instance:
> > >
> > > New Tab
> > > Reload Tab
> > > Detach Tab
> > > Duplicate Tab
> > > -----
> >
> > Move Tab right
> > Move Tab left
>
> does this really need to be in the context menu?
no, you are right -> moving it by four positions would be really annoying in a
context menu...  (also in a menu, but a bit better).

> oh, and this brings up another question: drag and drop of tabs... should
> that reorder the tabs, or drag a representation of their contents? right
> now in konqueror it drags the URL associated with the tab, for instance.

I think it should reorder the tabs. If you drag the contents only, another
content is overwritten. That is useful in situations when you duplicate a
page, but imho a workaround for the rather complicated duplication of pages
(ctrl-shit-d almost breaks my fingers...)

If you happen to have a osx around, install omniweb and play a bit with it.
Actually i have to correct myself: it's not possible to detach a tab via dnd,
but only to dock it into an existing omnigraffle window (which is
understandable from a technical point of view).

cheers,
/el

--

Ellen Reitmayr