HIG: tabwidgets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 9 09:15:45 CET 2006

hi all..

first, some broken link status:

	 http://openusability.org/projects/kde-hig/

links several times (as the project home page) to:

	http://www.kde.org/areas/guidelines/html/

anyways... i want to talk about tab widgets in the new HIG and hopefully get
some text in there.

there are 5 areas that probably need to be covered, please comment:

0. When to use tabs
1. Where to place tabs in a window
2. Standard Actions
3. Context menus
4. Mouse interaction

When to use tabs: ???

something should probably be said about frames in tab widgets. in Qt4 we have
proper control over this, which we didn't in Qt3. huzzah!

Where to place tabs in a window: Where the common locus of attention is. This
is usually the top of the window, except for command line and chat
applications which tend to put new information at the bottom of the window
and therefore keep the user's attention there. In such cases the tabs should
appear at the bottom of the window.

Standard Actions:
The following actions should be available if it makes sense within the
workflow of the application. For instance, while it makes sense to offer
"Duplicate Tab" in a web browser, it doesn't in a chat application.

Action		Shortcut		Required
-------		---------------	-----------
New Tab		Ctrl+Shift+N	Yes
Detach Tab	Ctrl+Shift+D	No
Duplicate Tab			No
Reload Tab	F5		No
Next Tab		Ctrl+Left_Arrow	Yes
Previous Tab	Ctrl+Right_Arrow	Yes

we'll want to define what the standard names for these are (e.g.
tab_duplicate) but we'll need to wait for the xmlgui replacement to get into
svn to know exactly how that stuff will work.

Context Menus: this should be a description of the context menu including
spots for customization. for instance:

New Tab
Reload Tab
Detach Tab
Duplicate Tab
-----
Other Tabs
----
Close Tabs

a question here is what to put in Other Tabs. in konsole it's "Switch To Tab",
in konversation it's "Switch To" and in konqueror it's "Other Tabs" which
includes actions that apply to all other tabs.

--
Aaron J. Seigo