Instant apply and explicit apply in KDE HIG

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 6 19:56:25 CET 2006

On Sunday 05 March 2006 13:24, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>  dialogs which would greatly benefit from instant apply. For example
> setting fonts in KMail is very annoying, because you always have to click
> apply before you can see the effect.

to be fair, i can't even see the area that those font settings affect properly
with the dialog open (it takes too much space!). a preview area would work
well in that case IMHO.

> My feeling is that there aren't that
> much cases, where instant apply wouldn't work.

the problem is that every inconsistency translates to a lack of trust: things
don't work dependably. imagine if 1 out of every 100 items in the real world
didn't drop to the ground when you let go of them, but in stead hovered for 5
seconds and then dropped? it would have a huge impact on how we dealt with
objects, even ones that did drop "normally"

--
Aaron J. Seigo