Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Sun Mar 5 18:00:40 CET 2006

Am Freitag, 3. März 2006 23:34 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> On Satrday 04 March 2006 05:58, you wrote:
> > Iff toolbars are made fully customisable (as Aaron hinted in the other
> > thread) for the first time in KDE's history (by also providing
> > persistence of changes), I am, in the role of a normal user, back in
> > full control. This would make many removals that nowadays force
> > advanced users to recurringly recustomise their environment far less
> > intrusive.
>
> There is a funny inconsistency in the above; our target group of users
> don't update every other week so any changes in the rc files will only
> happen on major upgrades which in practice will happen ones every 18
> months. Effectively ruling out your 'problem' above.

First, patchlevel releases take place about every two month, so the
persistence problem appears much more frequently.

Second, it doesn't make a difference whether your settings are lost once a
week or once a year. Otoh, losing them infrequently is even worse because the
user is caught by surprise then. He won't immediately miss the functionality,
but he is forced to "rediscover" all points of customisation he performed and
forgot to remember over the purported last 18 months (or whatever timespan is
deemed to be typical for the "actual user").

As the "loss of persistence" (LOP) issue is related to KDE and not to a local
configuration problem, I cannot determine any inconsistency between LOP for
me, LOP for developers, LOP for advanced users, LOP for "actual users", and
LOP for every other user of KDE.

mfg
	Leo

PS: Why is your mailer eating the subject?