Request for usability assistance

Jacob R Rideout kde at jacobrideout.net
Mon Dec 25 12:00:43 CET 2006

Hello,

I am refactoring and enhancing KSpell2 for KDE4. It will now be part
of a larger linguistic framework called Sonnet.

This is a great time to address the GUI components.

There are two common ways to handle spell checking:

1) inline, with some visual indication of underlining. Context menus
supply suggestions or other relevant data and actions.

2) A dialog driven search. This dialog usually show the context of the
word, has suggestions and offers a way to manually override the text.

Also, there is usually some way to add unknown words to a local
dictionary. Additionally, we are adding a grammar checking component.
What is the best way to handle the overlap in the interfaces?

So, is there a better way? What can be improved with the current
interface? Spellchecking is usually designed with indo-european
languages and scripts in mind, what could be improved for other
languages?

Suggestions of any kind are welcome.

Much thanks,

Jacob R Rideout