[Fwd: Re: Debian Package Popularity Contest - Turnout]

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Sep 23 23:56:13 CEST 2005

On Friday 23 September 2005 16:41, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> Experience show that users do not know about popularity-contest
> and so don't install it. However if they read about it in a mailing
> list or a news site, they might decide to install it.  For example, the
> two peak in the graph are the time when popcon was slashdotted.

The data at http://popcon.debian.org/ shows the amd64 to be the first
architecture after i386. I know for a fact that the difference in
installation base is several magnitudes more than the factor 20
difference in installbase of popcon.
With the above message I gather that for i386 the installation is really
user triggered (the user has to specifically request the installation of
the package).
In my case it was different; I got the proposal to install it from the
installation manager at first setup of my new amd64 machine.

I'm guessing that this is the reason of the big difference in participants
counted as a percentage of users.

While it sounds great to have more people reporting back, general
statistics theory shows that more is not always better. Just providing a
package that will be shipped with the cd's of the distro seems to provide
a nice result on a fully voluntary basis where the user actually
requested the download/installation of the package.

Interresting :)
--
Thomas Zander