[Fwd: Re: Debian Package Popularity Contest - Turnout]

Ellen Reitmayr ellen.reitmayr at relevantive.de
Fri Sep 23 16:41:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

Thomas noted that Debian has a package called 'Debian Package Popularity
Contest' which logs which packages are installed on a system and sends
an email. The user actively has to install the package, but then he is
no longer reminded that this data is collected and sent to the project
admins.

They have quite a high turnout (see http://popcon.debian.org/). I asked
them about their experiences to see if users are generally willing to
reveal such data.

Voila: