focus visualisation for KDE 4

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Wed Sep 21 12:04:22 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 21 September 2005 10:26, jan.muehlig wrote:
> Something that must be done on libs or qt level, but not in the hig:
>
> it seems that there is no consistent way (or any at all) how the area
> that has the focus is visualised in KDE. Take e.g. Kontact, and you use
> the tab key: How do you know where the current focus is, and thus: where
> e.g. your arrow keys effect.
>
> it also seems that neither gnome nor windowsxp do this. gnome only marks
> the button that would respond to "enter" action. If you take e.g.
> nautilus, you never know when the focus is on the main pane (the folders
> and document pane). same with windows.
>
> macosx does it, by drawing a tiny rectangle around the pane that has the
> focus. this is the behavior and visualisation i would suggest for kde4.
>
> any comments? rejections? suggestions? implementation suggestions?

I think what you mean is:

http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/images/focus.png

That's in the default KDE style.  The box above has the keyboard focus and
that's indicated by the blue rectangle -- not sure if that's what you're
referring to...

-Scott

--
I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb
as the next guy.