HIG meeting in Malaga, September 1st

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sun Sep 4 18:22:44 CEST 2005

Hi!

I am not subscribed to kde-usability-devel, so I am replying out of thread.

The time I can spend for KDE and for the HCI workgroup is limited, so I am
happy that Kenneth has stepped up. I am, however, uncomfortable with choosing
the chair before discussing how the workgroup will work. The style of
cooperation is more important to me than the persons. I feel uneasy about
starting the workgroup discussion by picking the chair first.

KDE currently has a very flat hierarchy. I want to keep this and decide and
discuss as much as possible on the relevant mailinglists for the topic
itself. The flat hierarchy also means that I see the chair as a coordinator
and common voice rather then the one deciding how the workgroup will work.
For this reason I suggest to postpone the decision about the chair until we
know who will be involved in the workgroup and what the ideas of the members
are.

Together with Gunnar I agreed to find people for this workgroup. In the last
days I have spoken to as many people from the various HCI subprojects as
possible. Unfortunately Kenneth is one of the few people that I missed, so I
don't know his ideas. The people who know him describe him as the right
person for the job, so I will probably be more than happy to support him as
the workgroup chair at a later point of the process.

Olaf