hig work

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Aug 1 16:30:44 CEST 2005

On Monday 1 August 2005 15:22, seele at obso1337.org wrote:
> hum, we cant seem to agree if radio buttons have a place on the toolbar
> or not

Yeah; I understood that from the conversations :)

Personally I'm inclined to conclude the widget choice is not the issue
here; the design choice to make an application modeless or modefull is
what is making this hard to use.

From what I see in KPDF (as well as all the other KDE apps that already
use it) its normally not a problem at all and users don't even need to
learn these options are radio buttons since they are just actions that
happen to automatically disable another button.

Examples of good radio buttons (please feel free to comment);
toolbox-type collection of actions. Only one can be used at a time:
http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/images/krita/newtoolbox.jpg

Both the floating toolbar (the paragraph alignment buttons) and the insert
button toolbars are radiobutton groups. Acting independently from each
other.
The 4 icons on the floating toolbar can be used to align the text layout;
see example paragraphs in that image.  Placing the cursor changes the
selected toolbutton.

I have a strong feeling at least some of us are talking about quite
different things here..
Please try to include pictures or classnames (from QtDesigner) if you are
talking about a certain widget.
--
Thomas Zander