[ADMIN] Moving on.

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sat Jul 10 17:30:37 CEST 2004

On Saturday 10 July 2004 06:12, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2004 21:35, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I think the line
> > between the two is vague(for example: is it only experts who's allowed
> > to preach on usability-devel? )
>
> The answer is still the same as last time you asked:
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-usability-devel/2004-February/000009.htm
>
> kde-usability itself gets to keep the users and semi-experts discussions
> since cutting those off is counter productive. You still want input, and
> users can have good ideas as well :)

That approach won't work. There is no Usability Experts -- how would you
distinguish "them"? By education? What if we did the same on the lists that
concerns programming/c++? I'm sorry, but this sounds medieval, elitistic and
practically impossible.
I wrote about this Expert Myth:
http://programming.newsforge.com/programming/04/07/07/1640244.shtml?tid=25&tid=26&tid=2&tid=31

Regarding Cornelius' "You got it. I was subscribed to kde-usability several
times. I will not do it again." :
Problems does not get solved by ignoring them. Those who find them belonging
to the upper-class and suitable for kde-usability-devel, can simply use their
Expert Knowledge and tell us others what we are doing wrong.
If we can't handle users and wrong statements in one place, we won't be able
to do it in another - you are not correcting the false statements but locking
out voices(which is dangerous in itself) in a way which will not practically
work.

I don't see myself as an expert(anyone who does should be shot, of course) but
my plan is to take kde-usability to a level where we can reach substantial
achievements. For example, the attached "kua8" is one tool which can help us
with that, once the KUA concept is up and rolling, more about that here:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=108939865814380&w=2

Cheers,

		Frans