[kde-usa] KDE U.S. NPO

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed May 9 22:14:08 UTC 2012

On 5/9/2012 6:03 PM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> On 5/9/2012 3:07 PM, Steve Hay wrote:
>> Just some thoughts, as a newcomer here:
>>
>> It sounds like there are four possibilities which have not been ruled
>> out: (1) ASF, (2) SPI, (3) SFC, (4) no sponsor
>
> No, this is not true. (1) is very unlikely since we don't really fit
> into the goals of the Apache foundation and their incubation program.
> Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it probably would be an odd fit.
> (4) has effectively been ruled out since the research we have done so
> far has shown that our funding would not be diverse enough to allow us
> to qualify (and stay qualified) under IRS regulations. And there should
> be a (5) which is "other umbrella organizations" since no others have
> been ruled out.

Just did a quick refresher. Basically the options are ASF
(extraordinarily unlikely), SPI (makes total sense if we don't care
about what the SFC gets us), or FSF. FSF doesn't make it easy to find a
lot of info about their umbrella organization, and they've been
relatively unsuccessful at incubating projects. We can essentially do
our own incubation, but I'm not sure what that means about their ability
to serve as oversight.

So really it's SPI. And continuing that, really it's back down to the
same question -- whether what SFC gives us over SPI is worth paying for.

As I said, easy path either way, just need an answer.

--Jeff