[kde-usa] KDE U.S. NPO

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed May 9 21:50:11 UTC 2012

On 5/9/2012 1:54 PM, Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> Hmm I guess this is where the problem is then. We don't currently have
> a concrete proposal on the board's table that we can say yes or no to.
> And it wasn't high enough on the priority list to follow up and get
> such a proposal. Sorry :/

Can you define "concrete proposal"? I know that there has been a lot of
communication between me, Claudia, the Board, and Brad Kuhn about the
SFC and what it would provide. I don't really know what you are looking
for in such a proposal or what information you're currently lacking.

It seems that the first question that the Board needs to consider is
whether they want to shell out the money for the patent infringement
indemnification for U.S. contributors that SFC provides.

> If one of the previous things is considered as such a proposal by you
> then please do follow up on that again because at least I don't
> remember one right that was a yes/no one.
> Personally I'd absolutely love to see someone look into SPI as an
> option closer if someone has the time for it.

SPI is quite simple; it's just a pure money-hosting operation. No
imposed fees, although they reserve the right to impose fees in the
future. Pretty much all relevant information is here:
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/by-laws/

I'm happy to shepherd something with SPI along, just as I've been trying
to shepherd something with the SFC along (from well before they started
charging mandatory fees, and with all the different conditions that
we've tried to get them to agree to along the way). But until the Board
makes some decisions, there isn't anything that I or anyone else can do.

--Jeff