[kde-promo] Proper Release Notes for 4.11?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 16:40:21 UTC 2013

On Sunday 07 July 2013 23:50:28 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Diumenge, 7 de juliol de 2013, a les 17:51:30, Markus va escriure:
> > http://community.kde.org/index.php?title=KDE_SC/4.11_Release_Notes&action=
> > hi story shows exactly zero contributions from others. Despite the
> > positive feedback there is no will to actually help me. Therefore I see
> > no point in pursuing it any further and waste my time...
>
> Reality check:
>  * [As far as I know] There's noone even working on the announcement, IMHO
> the Release Notes are less important than the Annoucement
>  * Who are you expecting to fill the Release Notes? Users? Users don't have
> the knowledge to write this, so I guess Developers is what you were
> expecting. I am not sure how many Developers read this list, probably not
> many, and even if they do, they prefer to write code than to write wiki
> stuff, so you have to gently push them to do it.
>
> Also, I've read what you added and
>
> "
> In any case we advise to backup your data and configuration files (usually
> in ~/.kde) before an upgrade.
> "
> Really? Why? As far as I know we don't have any destructive operation, yes,
> you should backup ~/.kde as you should backup your photos, but I am not sure
> ~/.kde is more important than my photos.
>
> "
> Nepomuk will consume an unusual amount of compunting performance
> "
> Have you checked with the developers? This seems like a bug to me.
>
> Doing Release Notes is *not* easy and it won't happen unless someone pushes
> for it to happen. That someone seems to be *you*, so if you want it to
> happen start sending mails to developers and prodding them to write Release
> Notes and verify that the ones you've already written make sense, because
> otherwise it's not going to magically happen.
>
> Sorry if I've been blunt.

Let me add to the truths above that most certainly we'll link the release
notes in the announcement, even in their current state: we have to start
somewhere.

I'm hoping to find time during Akademy, most likely on Tuesday, to get some
work done for the upcoming release announcement. Markus, I'd be very happy to
have your help.

Cheers,