Testing report and improvement suggestions

Janek Bevendorff janek.bevendorff at openwebboard.org
Mon Jun 11 15:16:20 UTC 2012

Hi there,

You asked for feedback, well, you get it. :-)

Good things first. we have IRC. That's very important, especially when
we want to get new beta testers. It is not the easiest thing to
integrate oneself into such a huge project, so the best way to get to
know the people, the structures, the habits, the rules and and policies
is to have nice people around which can help you in any regard. Although
many questions might be more or less stupid in the beginning, it's
important to ask and answer them directly. The more we can clarify at an
early stage the less is done wrongly later on.

Communication in general is very important. There is obviously no
efficient workflow without constant communication, so we need to keep
communicating with each other constantly. But that also brings me to the
not so good part:

We need to incorporate more devs. There should be more of them coming to
the #kde-quality IRC channel, for instance. Of course they have limited
time and already spend much of it on the programming stuff, but just
lurking around there and reading a bit of what we do and maybe having
some short discussion about some areas to test, things that could be
done better in program X, our opinion of something they recently did
etc. would be very helpful for both sides, I think.
It would also be helpful if we had some clear lists of areas that
changed during the last releases. Yes, we need more checklists and the
people who know the recent changes best are of course the devs.
A central place where they can drop things they want us to test would be
a huge efficiency improvement of the quality assurance work we do.
Always just reading the plain git commit logs for each and every product
is very cumbersome if not impossible and costs us much time we should
better invest in other areas.

Other than that I can just agree on what Maarten said before. :-)

Best regards
Janek