The point of Extra Mile.

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Dec 5 14:57:42 UTC 2012

Hi there,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM, dE . <de.techno at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a long time KDE user (since 4.4), the extra mile project doesn't make
> much sense to me.
>
> Apparently 'Small bugs' don't 'exist' they pop up with each new release.
>
> So if these small bugs are fixed today, what's the use? New ones will pop up
> tomorrow.

Yes, and? There always will be bugs, it is simply impossible to not
have bugs with the amount of lines of code, that is really wishful
thinking.

The point of the Extra Mile is to have a list of bugs that are rather
easy fixes, and tiny annoyances, not exactly Junior Jobs, but also not
bugs serious enough to have them qualify for the status NORMAL, at
least that is how I understand that.
It is merely a list of tiny annoyances we all would love to see fixed
but that are not exactly high on everybody's priority list. It is a
way to put forward reports that otherwise would easily get drowned in
the mass.

> Also, this problem appears to be prominently with just 2 projects -- KDE and
> Libreoffice (with MS office filters especially).

And? It is up to the projects to decide how they want to put their
bugs out in the front, isn't it? You seem to see a problem where there
actually is none?

> So I'd suggest a longer Debain like release cycle, 6 months release cycle is
> simply not enough for a mammoth project like this.
>
> Or maybe, don't release the stable one until all regressions in the bugzilla
> are gone.

You are kidding, aren't you? This totally would make release planing
impossible. Since we do not have enough testers for master it is
almost impossible to catch all those bugs, so we would probably either
never release or give up at some point, certainly not what you would
like to see.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org