QA Testing for 4.9.1

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Aug 29 15:56:19 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 29 August 2012 12:27:52 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Answering myself after having a look at the 18 bugs to test:
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org>
wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>
wrote:
> >> Hi QA-Team,

> >> In the case of KWin we know exactly what went into the 4.9.1 release -
> >> everything is nicely documented in bugzilla [1]. Every bug should also
> >> have an instruction on how to reproduce.
> >>
> >> So is there the chance that testers go through the list and verify that
> >> the
> >> fixes work as advertised?
>
> The problem appears to be the setup of some of the bugs, I personally
> never used Aurorae, and I don't own a Touchpad device, so it might be
> a bit tricky to actually test without the proper hardware and setup.
well hardware is always a problem - not changing decoration to test it, seems
not a problem to me on the other hand, had to do that for fixing, too :-P

> Could you maybe give some more details about what is required to
> actually test this?
I hope the bugs contain all neccessary information. If not please ask in the
report where something is missing.
> I think we should also ask the bug reporters to be
> included in those tests, as they have the proper hardware and software
> setup. We can help them to get a testing environment if necessary,
> e.g. testing with nightly builds for example.
Impossible. Nobody is willing to spend hours on compiling stuff just to verify
whether a bug is gone which they get a few days later through packages.

We don't have users reporting bugs who are able to compile KWin (we have quite
some bugs with possible patches nobody is able to verify). All those bugs are
reported against 4.9.0 which means the people did not test the betas and rcs.
How likely is it that they do not want to test the betas (for which packages
exist) but are willing to compile from source. And I don't want to give
private help in bug reports on how to compile KDE or get my inbox flooded with
it :-)

Oh and nightlies for the branch just don't exist.

So if we want to do QA it has to come from the QA team.

Best Regards
Martin