Fwd: Software testing server [Was: Setting up a Quality Team within KDE]

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 10:28:00 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org>
Date: Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:54
Subject: Software testing server [Was: Setting up a Quality Team within KDE]
To: kde-testing at kde.org
Cc: matthew at mjdsystems.ca, apaku at gmx.de

> Actually, make test invokes CTest behind the scenes[1].

Actually, yes.

> That being said, if
> we aren't uploading results anywhere, CTest only runs the test executables and
> offers nothing else (in this case).  If tomorrow we drop CMake/CTest, the
> tests would still run fine as is.

Yes, they can be run separately. I believe that is also my workflow
when a test fails. I run the desired binary in question to see which
test methods pass and fail to localize the issue further on. I think
"make test", and hence ctest, is a good and handy service after all in
my opinion. I am not worried about that, and it comes with cmake (at
least on the distributions I use).

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp

http://www.fsfe.org