Fwd: Beta Testing KDE-Telepathy

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 10:27:14 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk>
Date: Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 18:16
Subject: Beta Testing KDE-Telepathy
To: kde-testing at kde.org

Given that this the KDE Quality group is a new project it's going to
have a few quirks and a lot where we're not really sure what we're
doing.

As a possibly completely controversial idea, we could have a trial of
an organised of the beta testing program on a much smaller scale. (a
beta of the beta testing?)

The KDE Telepathy team is planning a release in late May, so we will
be in a beta testing period between late April and mid May, just
before KDE 4.9 makes its first beta release. It seems like a good
opportunity to try out this new structured beta testing.

We can test whether it all works in practice, whether we get lots of
common questions that need to go on a wiki, whether the reporting
quality is any good, or any other issues we haven't thought of. My
immediate concerns is that the developers will spend all their time
helping people getting set up (which I know is one of your things to
solve), and that bug reporters will spend their entire time filing
longterm wishlist items and big rewrite ideas that aren't the sort of
thing that should be fixed in a beta testing phase.

This would all be on a much smaller scale so it's less important if it
doesn't run smoothly so I think it would be a good learning
opportunity for the kde-testing team, as well as obviously useful for
us who get some more beta testing out of it.

It's something I'd want to run anyway, and it seems like a good
opportunity to involve you, but it's purely an idea/offer.

Dave

http://www.fsfe.org