API improvement suggestions

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Aug 24 18:55:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As you might have noticed, KPeople is being used in yet another
> 'read-only' client.
>
> The things that I think would be beneficial to add (I might have
> missed something) to the API of PersonData:
>
> 1. presence method that returns enum Online/... (what is the current
> QString presence() const; meant to return? it returns empty strings
> for me)
>
> 2. unread message count (either per-account, or just a sum, or just a
> notification that there are unread messages from that person)>

There's a QIdentityProxyModel model in KTp that effectively does this.
see TextChannelWatcherProxyModel.

I'd rather keep it here as it's quite app specific.

3. (not that important) default contact action - chat if online, mail if
> offline

I'm not sure that makes sense Most protocols allow you to message an
offline person
and Tp has API to connect you if you try to message someone whilst you're
offline.