Crash in plasma shell due to bad connection manager

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 08:31:04 UTC 2015

Hey,

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Diane Trout <diane at ghic.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I was trying to develop a connection manager in python, and once had
> enough interfaces implemented for TelepathyQt to try reading contacts I was
> getting ktp-contactlist and plasmashell to crash.
>

> It looks like TelepathyQt was crashing at at TelepathyQt/contact.cpp:1048
> when it was parsing the mess I was returning for
> oft.Connection.Interface.ContactCapabilities/capabilities
>

> I suspect the plasma shell crash is because I had the ktp widget in the
> system tray. This is with the Debian builds of 15.04.3 [1] and TelepathyQt
> 0.9.6.1
>

> For reference this is the function that returns the garbage that triggers
> the crash
>

> https://github.com/detrout/telepathy-gitter/blob/51cba4dacefb7fd10e4d107045f30a5679bd0912/glitter/contacts.py#L140

I'm not entirely sure about Python and/or the struct you need to return,
however you can check the Telegram CM which is done in Qt,
see https://github.com/Kaffeine/telegram-qt/ ...maybe it will help :)

> Obviously I need to figure out how to properly construct the dbus
> structure (any hints would be appreciated). I was also wondering if causing
> plasmashell to crash because of my own bad code is something that should
> file a plasmashell bugreport for?

Yeah, probably. Perhaps it should be fixed in tp-qt, even. Just
file one and paste the backtrace there, we can follow it there.

> [1] the ktp builds are unreleased, though the packages are in alioth's git.
>

> also I made some improvements to telepathy-python
>
> https://github.com/detrout/telepathy-python
>

> I improved the python3 compatibility and adding a few more of the newer
> _generated interfaces to where I found the older related interfaces.
>

> https://github.com/detrout/telepathy-python/commit/313269dbe612f6d5d16752e582f288550cb58525

Good stuff, nicely done \o/

Cheers
--