Crash in plasma shell due to bad connection manager

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Sun Aug 2 06:24:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

I was trying to develop a connection manager in python, and once had enough interfaces
implemented for TelepathyQt to try reading contacts I was getting ktp-contactlist and
plasmashell to crash.

It looks like TelepathyQt was crashing at at TelepathyQt/contact.cpp:1048 when it was parsing
the mess I was returning for oft.Connection.Interface.ContactCapabilities/capabilities

I suspect the plasma shell crash is because I had the ktp widget in the system tray. This is with
the Debian builds of 15.04.3 [1] and TelepathyQt 0.9.6.1

For reference this is the function that returns the garbage that triggers the crash
https://github.com/detrout/telepathy-gitter/blob/51cba4dacefb7fd10e4d107045f30a5679bd0912/glitter/contacts.py#L140

Obviously I need to figure out how to properly construct the dbus structure (any hints would be
appreciated). I was also wondering if causing plasmashell to crash because of my own bad code
is something that should file a plasmashell bugreport for?

[1] the ktp builds are unreleased, though the packages are in alioth's git.

also I made some improvements to telepathy-python
https://github.com/detrout/telepathy-python

I improved the python3 compatibility and adding a few more of the newer _generated interfaces
to where I found the older related interfaces.

https://github.com/detrout/telepathy-python/commit/313269dbe612f6d5d16752e582f288550cb58525

Diane