KPeople Logs integration. Was: How to migrate to KAccounts

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 11:04:16 UTC 2014

On Thursday 13 of November 2014 02:54:41 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 November 2014 01:59:41 Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > But you want to collate GTalk-GTalk, but you don't want to collate GTalk
> > > and KDETalk. Or I think so...
> >
> > Oh of course you do want to collate the conversations with the same
> > persons on
> > different protocols! KTp automatically selects an available contact for
> > chat
> > if one just clicks the merged contact, so if I talk to you today and
> > you're
> > only available on GTalk, and then we continue our conversation tomorrow
> > when
> > you're available on KDETalk (and KTp selects that for the chat
> > automatically),
> > why would I not want a continuous log across those two conversations?
> > It's the same conversation, which just spread across different protocols
> > due
> > to different availabilities.
>
> Hi,
> Let me create another thread, because it's going a bit out of topic.
>
> Merging conversations is not being done now, and I'm not sure it's that
> technically easy to do. Dan will know best.
> Considering it is possible to do, we'll have to decide how to do the
> merging, UI-wise. In fact, it's the typical thing I can imagine people
> requesting an option for.

Getting list of log events (messages) from all contacts for a given person is
a peace of cake. Each log event has a timestamp, so merging the lists together
is pretty easy too , we just need to make sure that the we preserve
information about the original account. Well, that's the theoretical case,
anyway. Now back to reality, where the situation is much more complicated:

I will chat with Dave about KTp via Jabber in the morning. During lunch he
messages me via Facebook about some completely other problem, because I'm
offline on Jabber. When I get back on Jabber later that day, we finish our
conversation about KTp on Jabber. Now if you would merge these two
conversations into one, it won't make any sense, as they are basically two
different conversations.
On the other hand, we could be chatting via Facebook, because I'm on my way
home. Once I arrive home, I start my computer, open KTp and continue chatting,
but KTp would choose Jabber instead of Facebook. In this case, merging the
logs is desirable.

(That is merging on Dave's computer. In my case the logs are scattered on
multiple physical devices, which is a completely different can of worms).

Basically, the solution I came up with (but never got to implement it in
LogViewer) is, that when you select a person and a date, the log view would
simply show several tabs: one "All Conversations" tab, and then a one tab for
each account. The "All Conversations" showing the merged logs, while the
account tabs allowing you to read the conversations separately by accounts.
This solves both the problems outlined above. I think it's worth asking the
VDG/UX guys, they might come up with some better ideas how to solve this.

Other idea I had, but couldn't implement because of Adium-based Text-ui was
showing the per-account logs side-by-side as a time line:

Time	|	 Jabber	|	Facebook	|
10:00	| blabla		|				|
10:01	| 	  blabla!	|				|

12:30	|			| 		blabla? |
12:31	|			| bla.			|

.... but that is a slight overkill :-)

Obviously these solutions do not work for the scrollback shown in text-ui, but
unconditional merging is probably desirable there.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348