Accounts handling in Plasma 5

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:35:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 August 2014 16:47:32 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > What I mean is that when someone sets up IM accounts in e.g. GNOME's
> GUI
> > > for
> > > the Accounts-SSO framework, would they work in KTp?
> >
> > I'm not sure how exactly does Gnome store the IM accounts credentials, in
> > theory it could work, but I'm unsure. Also I'm fairly certain that Gnome
> is
> > using their gnome-keyring to store the passwords (as a SSO backend), so
> > without their keyring it won't work.
>
> Yeah but on Gnome, gnome-keyring is usually present, isn't it? To be clear:
> I'm not talking about using Gnome technology in Plasma, but about KTp
> integrating in other DEs that use Accounts-SSO. I know it's not our focus,
> but
> it would still be nice if it worked seamlessly due to a shared framework.

I'm still not sure what you're getting at...? If you set it up on Gnome
using Gnome UI for Accounts-SSO, the password will be stored in Gnome
keyring. The account would exist in Plasma, yes, but you would not have the
password available unless you'd run the Gnome keyring. Same goes the other
way around, KAccounts will store the password in KWallet, so unless you run
KWallet in Gnome, that KTp account won't work there.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer