Introducing all the new people

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 09:37:49 UTC 2013

We've had a number of new people join for various projects and I don't
think I've introduced them all properly.

Dan Cohen (faemir) is a SoK student working on turning the text-ui into a KPart.
 This will making copy pasting Kopete's OTR plugin easier, as well as
tidy up the code. It's one of 2 big refactors the text-ui needs. The
other is moving chat-handling logic out of ChatWidget. I can do that
once master is open again.

Siddhartha Sahu (sdh) is a SoK student working on improving KTp active
 - this work will cleverly overlap with the Text-UI QML porting.

We have a student Ekaitz who is one of Dani Porset's students at a
university in Bilbao wanting to work on the call UI.
I'm not quite sure what he'll be doing yet, he doesn't know Qt or
Gstreamer yet... I think putting him on anything too complex will be a
waste of time.

I was thinking of having him come up with logic and QML for arranging
users in a multi user video conferences, he can do this with fake
video streams in qmlviewer.
Then one of us can help hook that into the real call UI. (we have
QtGstreamer QML bindings already thanks to gkiagia, the examples are
pretty straightforward).

There is another new developer (bambule) lurking on IRC who I think
was interested in working on active. He's done one patch, probably
needs a bit of pushing :)

We may also have a Red Hat intern available to us in the near future.
Dan Vratil was suggesting making him work on active, but that might be
crowded now. We may need ideas.

David