QtGstreamer

David Narvaez david.e.narvaez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 04:44:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Diane Trout <diane at ghic.org> wrote:
> I was really wanting a working alternative to skype or hangouts, and noticed
> that KDE Telepathy's AV call support seems to be currently blocked on needing
> an update to QtGstreamer.

I'm also interested in that.

> I've made some progress at:
> https://github.com/detrout/qt-gstreamer
> (Yes I probably should've committed to a branch other than master)

My work is at

https://gitorious.org/qt-gstreamer

you'll notice that there's a separate repo for qt-glib which was the
plan that QtGStreamer had back then. I don't know what the plan is
right now.

> Later I learned there had been some other work at Collabora at
> http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/gkiagia/libqtgstreamer.git/

Didn't know about this work, will take a look.

> I think I've gotten a bit farther than that previous work, though I haven't
> fully compared the two trees.
>
> A big issue between gstreamer-0.10 and 1.0 is the Glib type
> 'GST_TYPE_MINIOBJECT' is no longer the subclass for types like buffers,
> events, messages, caps. The porting guide recommends using G_TYPE_BOXED.
>
> Previously there was a MiniObject type in the Qt wrapper that was the sub-
> class for those objects. Something needs to replace that.
>
> I've also had some trouble getting template errors with some of the
> DECLARE_VTABLE / VALUE_CONSTRUCTOR code in src/QGlib/value.cpp for base types.
>
> I've recently tried building the code by building a minimal QtGstreamer
> library to link against the tests/auto/refpointertest.cpp test case, by
> commenting out all the Ui, elements, and other test cases in the
> CMakeLists.txt.
>
> I've been using:
> cmake -DQTGSTREAMER_TESTS=ON -DQTGSTREAMER_CODEGEN=ON $(srcdir)
> to prepare the build.

I never got that far into looking at the lower-level Qt bindings, and
ultimately tried shortcutting through smoke-gobject after learning
about it at last Akademy through Rohan Garg . I have made some commits
in smoke-gobject towards building a wrapper around Gst but I'm still
missing some important pieces.

At this point I'm still not sure of what's the best strategy, I might
as well try helping you with your project if you think you have it
figured out.

David E. Narvaez