QtGstreamer

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Wed Nov 6 22:11:35 UTC 2013

Hello,

I've mostly been talking about this work in #kde-telepathy

I was really wanting a working alternative to skype or hangouts, and noticed
that KDE Telepathy's AV call support seems to be currently blocked on needing
an update to QtGstreamer.

I've made some progress at:
https://github.com/detrout/qt-gstreamer
(Yes I probably should've committed to a branch other than master)

Later I learned there had been some other work at Collabora at
http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/gkiagia/libqtgstreamer.git/

I think I've gotten a bit farther than that previous work, though I haven't
fully compared the two trees.

A big issue between gstreamer-0.10 and 1.0 is the Glib type
'GST_TYPE_MINIOBJECT' is no longer the subclass for types like buffers,
events, messages, caps. The porting guide recommends using G_TYPE_BOXED.

Previously there was a MiniObject type in the Qt wrapper that was the sub-
class for those objects. Something needs to replace that.

I've also had some trouble getting template errors with some of the
DECLARE_VTABLE / VALUE_CONSTRUCTOR code in src/QGlib/value.cpp for base types.

I've recently tried building the code by building a minimal QtGstreamer
library to link against the tests/auto/refpointertest.cpp test case, by
commenting out all the Ui, elements, and other test cases in the
CMakeLists.txt.

I've been using:
cmake -DQTGSTREAMER_TESTS=ON -DQTGSTREAMER_CODEGEN=ON $(srcdir)
to prepare the build.

Hope that made some sense
Diane