The 0.7 thread

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 13:22:18 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Daniele E. Domenichelli
<daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/03/13 14:30, David Edmundson wrote:
>> Does anyone have any plans/ambitions for 0.7?
>

> I think we can start with a list here, and then move everything to the
> wiki later, so here is part of my wish list (actually whatever comes to
> my mind), I'm not sure which one of those will be ready for 0.7.
> You may not agree with some points, probably I won't agree with myself
> when I read the list later, so let's discuss them ;)
>

> [General]
> * Cleanup/Stabilize/Improve Documentation/Unit Tests at least part of
> the API A.K.A. "The ABI Normal Project"[1]
> * Move all non-stable classes to a KTp::priv namespace and build them as
> a separate library.
> * Install CMake files to find KTp
> * Qt5/KF5/C++11 porting
> * KTp Meta repository
>   - git submodules?
>   - Use SuperBuild[2]?
>

> [New Features/Fixes]
> * Individual presence

I'm also all for this. Splitting this down this means
 1: Fixing the presence applet
 2: Fixing the contact list
 3: Fixing KDED
 4: and then we can add the stuff you've already done to the accounts KCM

I'm not sure if we should do this all at once, or one item at a time.
If we change one item we NEED to change the rest before 0.7... but
that may be a good thing.

> * Activity based presence (ktp-accounts-kcm and ktp-kded-module)

++
This isn't actually blocking on the individual presence, it can happen
separately modifying all the accounts, then we can port it to do each
account (which would be more useful I'm sure) after the above is done.
Would be a good way to get one of our new guys leading a new feature
on their own, that'd be good.

> * Clean some stuff, fix bugs, and new features in adium themes (yes I
> know you hate them, but I don't see them disappearing very soon)
>   - Use KTp::Message instead of

I approve of making AdiumTheme* completely internal to AdiumThemeView,
whether it makes sense to remove them, I'm not sure.

>   - Background settings
>   - Invisible background?
>   - Case insensitive file names (will fix a lot of bugs in themes)

You had an idea of just renaming things in the installer - I like that plan.

> * Make the chat widget a kpart

+++
Part of the rationale is we then don't have issues with the headers
being installed from  the text-ui, and we also can remove all the code
in the app which is just managing the toolbars and buttons. I tried
this once... progress was slow. It's a lot of work.

> * Make the contact list widget a kpart
> * Handlers handling

I don't know what "handlers handling"  means.

> * Metadata handling in file transfer
>   - Send file metadata with the file
>   - Attach contact metadata
> * Port call-ui to GStreamer 1
> * Demo chat improvement
> * Make "Add New Contact" and "Join Chat Room" dialogs executable that
> can be started by command line (so that they will appear in krunner).
> Also make a "Start a chat" executable and add .desktop files for
> ktp-dialout-ui and ktp-send-file.
> * Use .desktop files for startable actions (contact-list, text-ui and
> presence plasmoid)
>

> [New components]
> * Release ktp-kipi-plugin
> * Release ktp-paste-contact
> * Release ktp-ssh-contact
> * Code formatting text-ui plugin
> * Swear filtering text-ui plugin
>

> [Repositories]
> * Rename ktp-contact-runner -> ktp-runner
> * Make a repository for tools (add-contact, join-chat-room, send-file,
> make-a-call, paste-contact etc)? Alternatively, merge ktp-send-file in
> ktp-filetransfer-handler, put join-chat-room in
>

> [Upstream]
> * Merge upstream patches[3]
> * Fix deprecated warnings in tp-qt
> * Check which tp specs are supported by tp-qt and try to upgrade them if
> required
>

> [Playground]
> * ktp-active
> * Test MUC dbustubes
> * Merge KBattleShip + StreamTubes
>   - Check that everything with .desktop files is working, that an
>     action is added to the contact list, etc
> * Zeitgeist
> * Web Accounts
>

> [Other]
> * Take Bug count under 100

_If_ you don't include wishlist or task items, we've done that :)
We have 91.

I kinda want to remove our use of the "task" flag in bugzilla so that
it shows 91 on the bugzilla weekly report page.